Support 4 Teens
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allows Teenagers to Give and Receive help within the Teenage Life. Support for Teens, By Teens.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NOTICE: Support4Teens Will Never Ask for your Password or for Any Personal Information, If Someone asks Personal Information or Password, Please Report to Shadow-Vampire.
REMINDER: Please Remember To Read The Forum Rules in the Code of Conduct. These Rules will be Enforced by the Real Support4teens Administration.
REMINDER: If you Have Any Suggestions Please Post them inside the Discuss New Ideas & Suggestions. New Suggestions will be looked over by The Support4Teens Administration.
If there is a Bug on the Forums, Please Report it at Bug Report Station This Will Allow the Support4teens Administration to Fix the Problem.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Job Interview Tips: Dos and Don'ts.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GrinningGremlin
Support Leader
Support Leader
GrinningGremlin

Male Posts : 28

Job Interview Tips: Dos and Don'ts. Empty
PostSubject: Job Interview Tips: Dos and Don'ts.   Job Interview Tips: Dos and Don'ts. EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 2:18 am

An interview gives you the opportunity to showcase your qualifications to an employer, so it pays to be well prepared. The following information provides some helpful hints.

Preparation:

-Learn about the organization.
-Have a specific job or jobs in mind.
-Review your qualifications for the job.
-Be ready to briefly describe your experience, showing how it relates it the job.
-Be ready to answer broad questions, such as "Why should I hire you?" "Why do you want this job?" "What are your strengths and weaknesses?"
-Practice an interview with a friend or relative.

Personal appearance:

-Be well groomed.
-Dress appropriately.
-Do not chew gum or smoke.

The interview:

-Be early.
-Learn the name of your interviewer and greet him or her with a firm handshake.
-Use good manners with everyone you meet.
-Relax and answer each question concisely.
-Use proper English—avoid slang.
-Be cooperative and enthusiastic.
-Use body language to show interest—use eye contact and don’t slouch.
-Ask questions about the position and the organization, but avoid questions whose answers can easily be found on the company Web site.
-Also avoid asking questions about salary and benefits unless a job offer is made.
-Thank the interviewer when you leave and shake hands.
-Send a short thank you note.

Information to bring to an interview:

-Social Security card.
-Government-issued identification (driver’s license).
-Resume or application. Although not all employers require a resume, you should be able to furnish the interviewer information about your education, training, and previous employment.
-References. Employers typically require three references. Get permission before using anyone as a reference. Make sure that they will give you a good reference. Try to avoid using relatives as references.
-Transcripts. Employers may require an official copy of transcripts to verify grades, coursework, dates of attendance, and highest grade completed or degree awarded.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/oco20045.htm From the Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2008-09 Edition, Bureau of Labor Statisitcs, US Dept. of Labor
Back to top Go down
GrinningGremlin
Support Leader
Support Leader
GrinningGremlin

Male Posts : 28

PostSubject: Re: Job Interview Tips: Dos and Don'ts.   Job Interview Tips: Dos and Don'ts. EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 2:19 am

10 Ways to Ruin a Job Interview

1. Complaining about the parking or directions.

Don't think it doesn't happen! As cordial and happy-go-lucky as your interviewers may seem, they don't want to hear a job-seeker complain that the place was hard to find or that the parking is inconvenient. The best (that is, the worst) example of this I ever experienced as an HR person came from the candidate who said, "Seven handicapped parking spaces next to the front door? What, are you having a wheelchair convention or something?" That was a short interview.

2. Bad-mouthing your previous job, manager, or company.
If you've been laid off or suffered some other unpleasant experience at your last job, it's easy to launch into a litany of everything the old employer did wrong. Don't do it! The interviewer is bound to wonder "Will this person be bashing me behind my back on some future interview, too?" Zip it.

3. Digging into details off the bat.
The typical selection process allows plenty of time for you to learn everything you need to know about the company's dental plan, its tuition-reimbursement policy, and the size of your cubicle. Don't ask about any of these items on a first interview, when you should be focusing the conversation on the role and the organization.

4. Groveling.
Employers want to hire people who can do the jobs and who are enthusiastic about the work. What's not so appealing is the candidate whose every word and gesture conveys the message, "Hire me, I beg you!" Joblessness is no fun, but you don't help your chances of getting the nod by presenting yourself as a candidate whose most notable attribute is desperation.

5. Answering a question before you understand it.
The absolute worst answer to any interview question is the response that shows you weren't really listening. When an interviewer asks a question that requires thought, like, "Tell me about a time when you had to convince a team of people to change gears," you don't want to blurt out, "Oh, I've done that a million times!" Any "tell me about a time when" question is a question that the interviewer has chosen to elicit a specific problem/solution story from you. Take the time to think through the question and compose a thoughtful answer. A few minutes of silence in the room won't kill anybody.

6. Spacing out.
Any interviewer worth her salt will be able tell when you've zoned out. If you're wondering whether the 5:40 train will get you home in time to watch the playoff game, the interviewer will spot it in your eyes. If you're really out of it, he may throw you a curve ball like, "So, who would you say was the most effective member of Teddy Roosevelt's cabinet, and why?" Stay in the room, with your eyes either meeting the interviewer's or looking thoughtfully at the ceiling. Or your shoes.

7. Slouching.
We'll throw in tipping the chair back off its front legs, resting your head on your hand, and lacing your fingers together behind your head.

8. Cursing.
Interviewers love to put job candidates at ease. When you reach the state of ease that lets an "f-bomb" escape your lips, you've gone too far.

9. "Opening the kimono."
It's tempting to share with a sympathetic interviewer the news that this job search has been really hard, that you're not getting callbacks, and that you've already sent out 150 resumes. Don't do it. Smart job candidates put out a vibe that says, "I'm glad to be here with you and this job might be fun, but I'm a capable person who's aware of his value on the job market."

10. Doing anything disgusting.
The long list of personal gross factors includes picking one's teeth or nose, spitting, and other unmentionables that are best left to the imagination. Any of these is a sure-fire interview-killer (and can we really blame the employer for that?). One candidate asked me for a cup of water, took a sip, swished it around in his mouth, and spat into a potted plant. Niiiiiice!

http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-expe...b_interview-83
Back to top Go down
Shadow-Vampire
Administrator
Administrator
Shadow-Vampire

Male Posts : 97
Birthday : 1993-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Job Interview Tips: Dos and Don'ts.   Job Interview Tips: Dos and Don'ts. EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 5:00 am

This is AMAZINGLY Accurate. I Hope this Helps people on Getting Jobs. Since in this Stage of the Economy Level is very hard to get a Job as a Teen.
Back to top Go down
https://support4teens.forumotion.com
vanish
vanish

Female Posts : 142
Birthday : 1993-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Job Interview Tips: Dos and Don'ts.   Job Interview Tips: Dos and Don'ts. EmptySat Nov 14, 2009 1:23 pm

this is quite true, and I know from experience some of the things you do not do, and I have confidence problems, which is not good during an interview ;p
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Job Interview Tips: Dos and Don'ts.   Job Interview Tips: Dos and Don'ts. Empty

Back to top Go down

Job Interview Tips: Dos and Don'ts.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Support 4 Teens :: General Discussions :: Jobs & Hobbies-
Jump to: